View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #37
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 876
got to admire a man with a lot of bikes!

Last times I did Death Valley were with a DRZ (2007) and a TE610 (2009) After that I switched format and bought a TE510. Never got to DV with it but plenty of Utah, Borrego, Randsburg. Light bikes definitely rule off road. Had some overheat issues and others, decided to go old school. I've had more fun riding these old school xr's. The xr250r being really competent at rock climbs and probably most fun, and the xr600 great at gobbling up miles, hill climbs. Have a xr400 I haven't put many miles on yet but felt DV was prime 400,600 area so I'd have a backup. (That 400 is just about as heavy as the 600 but has estart) I've had much of the xr600 apart and am reasonably secure about it mechanically and electrically. The xr400 is a bit unknown, and the xr250r I bought in as new condition - almost looked like it came out of a crate, but fear the sand will drag it down. Our pumpkin guy rides a 530exc, very nice bike. Very lite, maneuverable. Only holds 600 ml of engine oil tho and he does carry a bottle of coolant just in case. Those bikes have come a long way.

The longest loop we are looking to do will be from I think PSR up thru Steel Pass and down thru Furnace or Stovepipe for fuel. I think it's about 210 miles? Maybe I will look at it again and see how many to complete the loop going down Lippencott instead of the road rip. Too bad no fuel at Scotty's - would solve a lot of issues! We're going to bring RV's to PSR or Furnace and stage.

Your photos are great.

Thanks,

Chuck

cbig screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 08:28 AM
cbig is online now   Reply With Quote