View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #94
rburkat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
I had a busy weekend trying to get my bikes and gear sorted. I was hoping to leave for Mexico today but I think I'll be delayed one more day.

Most of this weekend I worked on my preride bike. This is the bike that blew up on us in our documentary, but has now been restored from the ground up with love and attention.

Received all the replated and reseated top end pieces

Putting the engine together. 540 big bore

Cleaned and painted frame

Thing in Baja vibrate, rub and short out so metal on the bike near wires is insulated and all wires wrapped in tape or rubber tube.

Isn't she sexy?

2006 KTM 525 XC
- KTM 540 big bore w/ 12.5:1 piston
- FCR-MX 41
- 8/33 cams
- ht racing oil cooler

I took a lot of care to build this preride bike up because in case my 990 has issues preriding 3000 miles before the race, the 540 will go into service for the race.

On another note, I took the 540 out to break in the engine today and I was blown away by the agility of it. I have been riding my 990 for the last 2 years and I think I have forgotten how nimble a dirt bike is. I could hit corners so much faster on this little bike. It was like piloting a jet fighter instead of a 747. Or a better analogy..., it's like riding a dirt bike instead of a 1000cc adventure bike :)

So now back to the shop to put the finishing touches on the race bike.

rburkat screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 11:15 AM
rburkat is offline   Reply With Quote