View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #45
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Hauling vrs. riding to DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbig View Post
My first DV trip I brought a ktm 950 and a drz. Enjoyed the ktm on easy sections and road. Never had optimal tires for either. I really prefer toting a bike via jeep/rv and camping than riding out carrying gear. Don't enjoy the adventure bike deal. I use street legal dirt bikes for off road and street bikes for aggressive street.

That xr250r is a hoot! No doubt. Maybe with a xr280 kit and xr400 forks might do the trick. Very light and maneuverable. Don't think open dez is its specialty. Been on some hill climbs that turned into first gear rev fests. The xr400 and xr600 are probably perfectly. If I stopped being indecisive id probably sell one!
I agree about hauling a my bikes to DV. I rode my R1200GSA all over DV but there were many places where I couldn't ride it so after several trips with a big bike, I started hauling my smaller dual sport bikes and found I had much more fun once I got to DV.

There are so many great bikes these days that it is hard to settle on just one. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. 400 to 500cc's has become the sweet spot for me.