View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #16
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Next morning when we started, it was freezing cold. We'd been sleeping approx. 1000 meters above sealevel and it was cooold
We had to dig out our warm sweaters from when we started out in Copenhagen. But it was a clear blue skye and the air was crisp and fresh - nice.
We were on our way to the lake Lac de Serre-Poncon, following the N94 southwest.

The roads were stunning,

as well as the landscape.

Stopped for a chocolate-bar for Nikolai and a ziggy for me. These stops are mandatory to keep up the boy's interest. If I keep on riding for hours he get's fed up and looses interest - or he simply falls asleep on the back. And this is not really the point of travelling with him, I do all I can to keep it interesting for the little man.

We rode down the east side of Lac de Serre-Poncon on D 954 with some nice views over the lake.

From the north side we started crawling up to the pass Col d' Allos.

With it's height of 2250 meters, it was nearly as high as Col de la Cayolle as we previously had gone over. There was a lot of snow here as well, but this time Nikolai couldn't be bothered to take his helmet off, or even get off the bike! I tried to get him off, but he said he enjoyed the views perfectly from where he was sitting...hm!

Back down on the south side in the valley Val de Allos, we stopped here in the little town Colmars for lunch.
The sun was shining, the skye was blue - life was excellent.

After eating we went on towards the highlight of the day, the Grand Canyon du Verdon.
Riding along the banks of the Verdon river.

Entering the canyon.

Of course it's not like the Grand Canyon in the US, but still an awesome sight to see.

It's generally regarded as the most beautiful canyon in Europe.

Up at one of the viewpoints,

we saw some rock-climbers.

Wauv man, respect!

It was getting late, so we stopped her in the town La Palud sur Verdon for the night.

After finding a place to sleep we went out to have a look at the town.

After something to eat, it was back to bed getting ready to ride the south-eastern side of the canyon the next day.
panzerrocket is online now   Reply With Quote