View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
We crossed the Verdon river to get to the other side.

The weather wasn't looking too good,

but that couldn't take the beauty out of the scenery.

Shortly after we left the canyon it started to rain, so the eagerness to get the camera out went down.

I'd planned what looked like a beautiful route over the Massif Des Maures to get down to the coast, but with the weather being bad, we had an early day and stopped in the town Collibrieres.

We got a room at the Hotel Des Maures,

and after a beer and a Cola we went out to look at the town.

Next day we finished the route over Massif Des Maures,

and got our first glimses of the Mediterranean Sea on our way towards Côte d' Azur also known as the French Riviera.

On our way eastwards we took the Route de Ramatuelle to get to St. Tropez.

St. Tropez, a playground for the rich and famous, was putten on the map by the movie And God Created Woman from 1956, starring Brigitte Bardot.

We went down to the harbour

and looked at the gigantic boats there.

By the way, the pic's of the boats are taken by Nikolai. Well done I think, by a 6 year old.

This one here I found to be especially beautiful.

Nikolai's shot of daddy.

After our little nose-around we sat down here for a pizza with views to the boats. That was the most expensive pizza I've ever eaten...

We continued along the coast with the traffic being extreme. We were away from the loneliness in the mountains!

Passing through all the famous towns. As far as I remember this here was St. Raphael.

Out of the towns, the extreme traffic couldn't take the beauty out of the scenery. Here it's Corniche de l'Esterel.

Riding through Nice, Nikolai was getting fed up with the traffic - and I was as well I must admit - and he asked if we couldn't stop here for the night. Well why not, it would be nice to have a stroll around the harbour area of Nice.
We found this fine little hotel 50 meters from the waterfront, and also for an acceptable price. We got 30% discount!

We walked around the cozy harbour-area,

and found this wonderful little restaurant just by the quay-side.

We started out with fish soup as we shared,

followed by pasta for Nikolai and some more fish for me. Can't remember the name of the fish though...

After dinner we walked around in the area near the hotel. Upon walking by the seaman's church we saw a homeless man getting ready to go to sleep at the foot of the stairs to the church. Nikolai was very curoius and asked why he was sleeping there and so one. The little man simply couldn't understand, that the man had nowhere to live. But daddy, that's terrible for him, can't we help him dad? Eeh well, yes and no, what should I answer to that? The homeless man waved to Nikolai, and I started thinking - what the hell why not? I tucked a 10 Euro note i Nikolai's hand together with a cigarette, and said - go over and give him this. Nikolai was overly happy to being able to help the poor guy, and the 10 Euro's was less than what we spend pr. day on espresso's and Coca Cola's. The homeless man shook my son's hand and gave me another wave with his hand.
I went to bed with a good feeling that night.
panzerrocket is offline   Reply With Quote