View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,026
Do the math...

FWIW Woody's charges: Standard SUPERLACE & True $99.00

two local stealerships (HD/Custom shops that do their own) quoted $200-300 a wheel + tax "depending" on what the mechanic "encounters"- they didn't like the "different" rim at first. Other local Japanese/Euro bike shops charge shop rate ($85^ +tax) an hour with estimates @ 2 hours a wheel. I know shops that send the wheels out & up-charge you for their margin (&shipping). None of them know about /how to "Super Lace" or offer any guarantee, and we can guess how many total wheels are laced up between all of 'em in a year.

$99 for the Superlace treatment as well as the actual lacing & truing of the wheel suddenly doesn't sound bad- and Woody's offers a 1-year guarantee on their work if you Supersize your spoke/nipples, which brings their total in line with the local yocals for just a standard wheel lace-up, that you certainly could do (better) yourself, esp if you get a spoke nipple torque wrench and pay attention to what you're doing after you've read up on & YouTube'd the subject (ah, the internet).
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencergt66 View Post
but still will bend and break while using low air pressure and ridden hard

If you can do it and have to tools save the $$
+1. Low-pressure is where the rims have the best chance to get dented or pretzeled. Dirtbikes run as low as 5 or 6psi here in the Appalachians, and that's when the strength of the actual rim is shown. I've seen (admittedly with amazement) multiple dents in DID Dirt Stars including those off the Husaberg Factory racebikes the dealership bought from KTM NA. I know Nick Fahringer & Mike "Junior" Lafferty are smooth riders (& multi time Enduro Champions) on bikes weighing 300lbs less than ours. They don't need the low pressures I'm talking about since they're usually floating over stuff.

Add the weight of our bikes, additions/mods, our body & gear, fuel, tools, etc and a solo rider could easily weigh 750-800lbs. Couple that with the higher speeds we run and that's a LOT of energy to put through a rim at thr 20+psi we run. The 2012 Dakar on the showroom floor w/o battery, <1/2gal fuel weighed 499.7lbs, naked, on state-certified digital scale pods made for weighing vehicles - I was a little shocked. On the plus side. all the dirt guys in the shop thought it was pretty cool we ride our bikes in the places we do once they saw that!

I'd be more worried about how narrow the front wheel bearing loading areas are on our bikes I've seen skateboards with bigger bearings!
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote