View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #40
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 8,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Gurunathan View Post
Hi def;

I used the method outlined by MotorradMike, using the quill with a pin in a collet to steady the tap and keep it centered as it started the hole. For tapping fluid I just used some light penetrating oil that I had lying around in a can, it was a generic version of WD40. Worked quite well. I did make sure to go slow, though; when you are working on your own bike your heart always beats a little faster!

As far as the welding is concerned, I deferred to the expertise of my colleague, who is a trained welder. He said to choose a filler rod for general purpose aluminum welding (4043) to play it safe.

I am always looking to learn more, so if you see something that wasn't quite right or if you have some experience to share do let me know. I think I've learnt a hell of a lot from this little incident! I just hope someone else benefits from the collective expertise here.
With patience and wisdom and some grit thrown in for good measure, you turned a bad situation into one with a good outcome. Many less skilled would have either incurred a large repair bill or sold their bike.

I would let the dealer know of the success of your repairs and somehow convey to him that you have no faith in his skills and his business practices don't inspire customer loyalty or patronizing his business...in other words, he should be ashamed of the way you were treated (not to mention your bike).

Did the dealer give you a bill for breaking your motorcycle?

Continued success.

def is offline   Reply With Quote