View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #380
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,120
Fey was a trooper today

I teamed up with Nip from a ride with Bud a couple years ago. He has the place in Lone Pine where I'm staying. LD and I got him into dirt bikes and he now has a DRZ400. Also an Advrider rider named Feyala was going to be in the area so we asked her if she wanted to do some Death Valley with us.

Fey showed up last night around 11pm after making a Sierra Crossing from Fresno Via Lake Isabella. We spent 10 minutes saying hi, and then went to our zonck out stations.

The morning broke with a beautiful clear sky, and an unblemished view of Mt Whitney. That's Mt Whitney right of center next to 2 little peaks...maybe 20 miles away.
From DV Oct 2012

We went for coffee 2 blocks away at Micky D's and then sorted out what we'd take on our ride today. We left about 10am and went to Cerro Gordo at 10000 ft some 25 miles from Lone Pine to the east. Of course the ride was great, an easy dirt climb with Fantastic views to the west. How's this?
From DV Oct 2012

Cerro Gordo is a defunct mining encampment. For the last 15 or 20 years there has been a private restoration going on, and you can actually reserve a room or the whole place if you want.
From DV Oct 2012

From DV Oct 2012

From DV Oct 2012

Fey had a front brake on her DR650 feeling iffy. She looked and found one of her front caliper bolts missing. Bob, the caretaker, came up with some bailing wire and we wired it back together so the caliper couldn't rotate off the disk like it had done which gave her the weird feeling. Done. Worked all day...
From DV Oct 2012

So now it was time to take the 10 miles down the other side of the hill. The east side wasn't a graded side, and was fairly challenging, especially, to Fey as she's only been riding in the dirt for half a year or so.

She was nervous all day but never dropped her bike once. We actually spent a few hours on about 25 miles of that dirt road....some of the time we were lost, but we eventually found the way out on Saline Valley Road to Hwy 190. When we got to 190 we had another 30 minutes of Daylight and just about 30 miles to ride. Fey lagged behind to get some sunset pics. Nip and I headed for the barn as it was going to be cold soon. As they say...a bit nipplely.

Sure enough to end a good day, as Nip drove down Main street, a cell phoner turned directly in front of him. Luckily it was a near miss reminding us of what we all know.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is online now   Reply With Quote