View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #1516
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVirginia View Post
Light makes right. I love the idea of a KTM more capable and yet lighter than the Tenere I am considering. Keep in mind, however, that I am in the "boy in a high school" stage when I fall in love every time I see a new set of curves.

I am concerned about the pricing of all these big ADV bikes.

Let's consider the Toyota Corolla. In the USA the base price is $16,230, has 132 hp, 16 or 17 inch wheels optional, 13 gallon fuel tank, and a curb weight of 2,800 lb.

The point is it's hard to swallow a 500 lb ADV bike being the same price as a 2,800 lb vehicle.
Since when is weight or size and indicator of worth or cost?

And it doesn't make any sense to compare the Ferrari of off road bikes (it only makes 16 HP less!!) with a Toyota Corolla.

If you want to get a lot of lbs of bike for your $ you might want to look at a KLR instead....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepharmer View Post
There has been a lot of chatter about a 750-ish cc DS bike from KTM. Why would they dumb down the 990? If that were to happen, everyone would be bitching about less power, torque, etc.

Think about it-- the 990 kills the 800xc and f800gs, so why the fook would KTM make something less? I will grant that the 990 could have some improvements, but it absolutely slays the sub liter class bikes.

The 1190 is intended for the 1200cc class and assail the usual suspects (BMW, Triumph, Ducatti, maybe the S10).

I don't see the "dream bike" coming from KTM in a 750, cuz it's already here in a 990.

There is no replacement for displacement.
Seriously?

So according to your logic every bike that has less power than a 990 is "dumbed down"? That must be why the open classes in off road races are all won by 990s.... Oh wait, they aren't.

If you really don't get it, many people would gladly trade some of those horses for a lighter bike that will handle better off road, use less fuel, be easier to pick up, etc. There is no replacement for displacement when you are going in a straight line, but for turning, jumping and braking I couldn't give a shit whether I had 20-30 horses less if it could loose 100 lbs.

LukasM screwed with this post 10-27-2012 at 07:20 AM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote