View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,026
Keep in Mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by booger1 View Post
I've got an 06 adventure. the rubber chain guide that protects the swingarm has failed and now the chain is starting to grove in to the swingarm
when you get a new guide make SURE to (at least) use thread-locking agent on the bolts holding it in place. There isn't a lot of thickness to the swingarm so you don't get lots of turns before you run the chance of pulling aluminum out. There is a TSB on thread-locking the bolts but mine come loose again so went at it another way...

To create a permanent solution I used allen-head screws and drilled a hole into the side of each head. Once installed (& loctited) I ran a loop of stainless steel safety wire from the top bolt to the bottom (pulling the wire clockwise to prevent any loosening) and wired the two together, running the wire down the inside of the shock opening in the swingarm to keep the wire out of harms way, twisting up the ends and tucking it against the guide so it won't catch on anything. I'm busy prepping for the Franken-Storm that's about to hit the Northeastern U.S. or I'd crawl under mine & snap a picture for you

After seeing most of them loose or fallen out on customer bikes I encourage everyone to do this modification- especially if you take yours offroad into rocky stuff (which I do) where the guide gets hammered.

Good Luck!!!
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote