View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #53
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesgiralt View Post
Hello !
I can speak here only of my experience. But with cars with points then with electronic ignition and motorcycles with points and electronic ignition.
If you speak about reliability (ie rate of failure given the number of years of service or mileage) electronic ignition beat all systems. (provided it was devised as a whole as is the BMW system)
If you speak about repairing a failure in very remote areas, then you can always fix points with rubber band or a file, but what about a coil failure ?
My R65 is 30 years old and has still all original electronic equipment fitted. Never had to check the system or tune in any ways. (except when I had to remove the bean can for timing chain job or gasket leak repair)
If I plan to go in a desert, or in a very remote area, I'll bring a second electronic unit and fit a second hall sensor in the bean can. As the first one hold it for 30 years, I can get around the globe for the life of the "second one"....
Electronic ignition is a way better system to run a petrol engine. No matter what you say or think. Now, these system have overcome their infancy problem and the electronic is as reliable as can be. Can't be beaten.
you just posted up a third option of carrying a spare electronic beancan or modifying beancan with two halls. as replacing a failed halls in a BMW beancan in the field is all but impossible without proper tools.

simple is good, that's why replacing with beancan with points works for me. I'm permanently done with this issue. adding a second halls inside beancan is a pretty elegant solution too. if first halls ever fails, swap pigtails and be done.

normally one almost never hears of electronic ignitions failures. except for Airheads, which comes up on a regular basis.

yes coils can fail too ... if you've got a 12v bosch coil on your airhead. best to replace and get it over with. as they have a known high failure rate.

vs 2x 6v Bosch coils almost never fail. same for Dyna high performance coils ... almost never hear of failures.

if I'm running a part with almost no known history of failures. I see no reason to replace 2x 6v Bosch coils or carry spares for it.

_cy_ screwed with this post 10-27-2012 at 03:28 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote