View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #102
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by mle52 View Post
Thanks for posting, I have wanted to ride this area for a long time but several attempts to locate routes have not been very successful, I usually get replies listing the tourist areas. We like back roads and no time table. Finally gave up and went to Alaska last year. Your report gives me a lot of information about the area and I think I will try again to list out some routes you have described to try. Hope to to east next summer, living in the Texas Panhandle we always seem to travel west and northwest.
Thank you for checking by mle52! I will be glad anytime, just send a PM, to help you or suggest routes in the NC, VA area. On this trip, we basically followed 58 east through VA to a town called Franklin. We did detour, north out of downtown Hillsville, VA to see the shot tower and explore some dirt roads just east of the New River State Park near the Shot Tower. I can give you specifics on those if needed. When we left Franklin in this segment, I went just a few miles east on 58 then turned south on 189 then L onto Gates Road, that became something like Camp Pond and we crossed into NC and the name changed to Sandbank, then I think we picked up 158 east at a 4-way intersection and stayed with 158/17 through Elizabeth City and stopped at Coinjack on the way to the OBX. Just before crossing the bridge leaving Elizabeth City, you may want to explore a few streets just to the right prior to the bridge is the older part of town, Mariners Warf, etc. Some shops and restaurants there. It was Sunday morning when we went by there and the churches were busy but nothing else looked open. Take Care and hope you get this way!

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote