Originally Posted by _cy_
let's examine solutions that meets above definition of reliable (costs are aprox??):
1. change out to beancan with points. Beancan w/points are hard to find and sell for about $150 on ebay (found mine for $35 ebay and $50 craigslist). needs new 3 ohm coil $65 ... so total costs about $215. then add $85? for ignition booster to extend life of points
2. change out to new style beancan with provisions to easily change out halls. about $400? + new coil $65 + spare halls $20 + spare brain module $75? = $560?
3. complete new ignition system that triggers off crank. in the unlikely event that main system fails. you original system remains for a backup. costs $400? + costs of alternator upgrade required $500? = $900?
4. carry spare BMW electronic beancan/ICU, change to Dyna coil: $150+$75 +65= $290
5. modify BMW beancan with two halls with extra pigtail. spare ICU & change to Dyna coil. ICU $75, $20 halls + $65 Dyna coil = $155
hate to say it, but looks like option #5 may be the most elegant and lowest cost choice.
retains electronic ignition with a backup halls inside stock beancan. simply switch pigtails in the unlikely event of failure. change out to Dyna coil, then carry spare ICU. full backup capabilities with no maintenance of electronics at dirt cheap $$.