View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #103
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,625
Continuing on with day three, 9/23/12, we pulled out of Coinjack with a lot of riding to do yet, and headed on south on 158.

mtngal had never been north to Duck and Corolla so once we got over to Highway 12, we headed north to see the sights in that direction, and maybe the wild horses on the beach north of Corolla.

It is very developed down that way but both Duck and Corolla are really nice little towns with lots of gift shops if you like that. Our main interests were to see if we could find firm sand to ride up the beach above Corolla and to see the Corolla Light House. Considerable traffic at times so expect it to go slow and slow speed limits.

Here we go out onto the beach at the north end of Corolla.....No anything allowed here, no peeing in the sand, no pooping, no nudity, no drinking, no...well...if you think it might be fun, you can't do it...so..

Here I am after not going very far Found out later some folks tried it on small bikes and no luck either. The only firm stuff was right in the water and I was not into getting that much salt on my bike this early in the trip.Oh yeah....I am not supposed to stop here so....just had to get a pic No stopping for any reason too!!

Up the beach, on a zoom lense, we could see some wild horses and people.

Ok, so we did not brave to loose stuff and it was really more loose than the last time I was here. Back in town, we turn off to see the Corolla Light house.

mtngal had been spattered already with seagull doo as we headed to Corolla, and then these things kept hitting her in the head ....what next??

We then headed back through town and they have some tame horses: or Pegasus' or is the plural Pegasuii

Enough of the congestion so we head back south and a quick stop at the Wright Memorial. They were closing soon but we just wanted a few pics anyway and my Old Geeezer National Parks Pass got us in free anyway.

After a brief visit there, we hit the road south toward Hatteras and encounter little traffic as the day wanes. There were these two really slow bikes that we came upon and so we blew them away on short order As you will see, we meet up with them later...on the ferry

Somewhere different for my hands I guess...did not know she was taking photos of this...

Stretching my back I guess...on cruise control...

Pea Island

In Avon, we pick up a snack, blueberry muffins, coffee, and gas....ain't cheap.

Late evening kite flying on the beach as we approach Hatteras

OK, taking a break from this posting up. Next segment, maybe later tonight, will be a fun stop at Hatteras even though the buildings are closed, then a beautiful sunset ferry ride over to Ocracoke, and dinner there before we turn in at our reserved B & B.

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R

Aarrff screwed with this post 10-27-2012 at 08:04 PM
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote