View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #1522
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,926
Having recently spent 6 days on a borrowed KTM690 equally offroad in dirt and long pavement sections, with GL luggage, I agree with Lukas. After just 3-4 hours of highway speed pavement on a comfy Renazco seat the vibes eventually made me glad to get off of it, and I ride almost every day, all year, so very used to motorcycle seat time. My current KTM990, my former Aprilia RXV550, and even my Husaberg FE390 are all MUCH smoother at higher speeds than the KTM690. The 690 is fun in the dirt for a bigger bike, and when bashing around in the dirt you are up and moving a lot so the vibes aren't felt as much -- but the sit-down sessions a true Adventure bike will need to do just aren't all that comfortable on it.

Small v-twins rock and a small smooth reliable twin in the nice handling 690 frame sub 350lb as discussed earlier I think would be the magic carpet ride the hard-core here seek. I love the Triumph triples too and the Tiger XC800 was supposed to be Triumphs long awaited lighter Tiger (we hoped they would have kept it a lighter 675 triple), but instead they made it a pig, almost as heavy as my old Triumph Tiger 955i, big disappointment. I guess the market size for those of us who DO want to ride these things EVERYWHERE, including single trail, is too small a demographic for the big manufacturers.

I'm with many here in hoping the 1190 sells well and KTM does well enough to perhaps dabble in smaller Real Adventure bikes.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote