Thread: Gone Walkabout
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #66
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,347
Going back in time a day or two ago to Durango, CO. Durango is a very strange little outpost, a stepping stone to adventure in all directions. Perhaps that's why the people there are so, ah, different. There are all sorts, but overall it didn't feel like a real friendly town. It was 19 degrees that morning when I woke up and it still wasn't above freezing by the time I reached town. I needed coffee, one large and one large enough to soak my frozen fingers in. After waiting at what seemed like the longest light ever, I discovered the reason. The coffee would have to wait a few more minutes for this old gent to pass.
Photobucket

After at least 2 hours of soaking up the local culture, decided to restock some supplies before heading out into the desert. I found a grocery store and realized I had been here before, and I remember that the parking lot was filled with strange and unusual expedition vehicles then too. I stopped to chat with this guy for a while, he was just leaving the store and spotted me. It's funny how full time (professional?) travelers seem to spot each other from a distance. We almost always make a point to make time to exchange information about services, weather and routes ahead. It's like stepping back in time while the rest of the modern world whizzes around us. I really enjoy this part of travel.
Photobucket

Making my way west to southeast Utah is a familiar route, easy to see why considering how few roads there are per mile than back home.

Utah, possibly my favorite state.
Photobucket

Saw this guy just perambulating along. He wasn't quite sure what to make of me.
Photobucket

Eventually I make it here, a familiar landmark. This one's for Willy.
Photobucket

Eventually I make it to my destination, Valley of the Gods. I arrive around 5pm, one of the earliest days for me to stop so far. It feels good not to be in a race with daylight for a change.
Photobucket

A nice dinner of pasta, broccoli and chicken was more than I wanted, but it usually is. It's hard to cook for one.
Photobucket

I've had a problem with my Camelback and lost 1.5L of water, so no washing dishes tonight. But I did make time to experiment with the camera.

Photobucket

Photobucket

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote