View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #87
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
I have a few bikes which I have negleted for a while (too many bikes in the stable), but have the urge to convert my 2004 Honda CRF250R into a full Dakar wanna-be rally bike. It is legally taged with street registeration and insurance. Currently the bikes runs perfect with a big bore kit, a heavy flywheel, headligh/brake light but I still am going to tear it down to bare frame and rebuild into a rally bike with all the extra fuel tanks and cool rally fairings. And I want to try some nasa rallymoto events with this bike in the Lite class.

Are these rallies geared more towards bigger bikes like 600+cc, or can a 250 be failry competative in the lites class?
A well piloted liquid cooled 250cc will be competitive in the lites class, however you'll not need more then 3 gallons and adding a bunch of weight will not be advantageous in the least for competition use. The NASA Rallymoto is more of a street legal enduro as far as navigation or bike set-up is concerned. Carrying tools and a bunch of gas is only going to be a penalty 95% of the time/instances.

The biggest problem with a 250cc based engine for Sandblast is that you'll have 10 mile stretches at full throttle/high rpm's and can be very taxing to the 250cc bikes.