View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #59
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldust View Post
I have found a significant performance advantage in replacing the original mechanical advance system in my BMW's so have all of my friends who have installed my system. Better starting, a much smoother engine, and significant low end torque increace. Older bikes have shown significant wear in the advance weights and springs, throwing off the original design ignition advance. One of my friends noticed that his 1994 R100GSPD was like a totally different bike after fitting the system, much smoother and stronger engine when two up and heavily loaded, he commented that he no longer had to shift back to 4th gear when passing Road Trains (real big Australian Trucks with up to 3 trailers).

Full redundancy in twin plugging is dependant on wiring setup (I once had a rock thrown up by a truck smash one of my plugs clean off. I did not notice till I stopped for fuel some miles later). Nice to know if a coil fails it will still get me home too.

Not sure about a Low Compression R80G/S getting any performance advantage from twin plugging, would not hurt it. Most of the R80G/S's I know of have been converted to 1,000cc bikes in Australia and then twin plugged.

I have 4 of my Airheads twin plugged, 1978 R100RS, 1982 R100CS, 1990 R100GS, 1996 R100GSPD (1070 kit). I find they get about 5-10% more power, better fuel consumption and a smoother engine, all but the 1978 bike are fitted with my ignition system so they run a lot better (and cooler) than stock, the 1996 R100GSPD with the 1070 Seibenrock kit (long rods, cam etc) is fitted with early model RS heads and runs very hard.

This looks a bit like the replacement bean can sold in the UK by Motorworks

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Sh...IA_20&spPage=3
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is online now   Reply With Quote