View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #253
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,571
There was live music last night but most people were hanging around the bonfire where it was warm. This picture is before they started throwing Barcaloungers and easy chairs on. Not sure if that is an annual ritual or what. Like a Texas version of burning man:

Anyway the night ended with door prize drawings and a raffle to benefit Wounded Warriors, a private foundation that helps returning wounded vets. Great cause. I bought ten dollars worth of tickets and gave them to SchizzMan since I didn't want any of the helmets, riding gear etc. that they were raffling off. Later I got back to my tent and realized I should have bought more tickets. It's a really good cause. Oh well. Next time.

Got up this morning early and there was frost on the bike and tent. It was 31. Time to head south. But not until the sun rises in an hour and the day warms up and evaporates the frost. So I'm over at the hotel next door warming up by the fire. The nice lady in the breakfast buffet asked me if I wanted a cup of complimentary Starbucks coffee. Why yes. Yes I do. But I explained that I was tent camping and not staying at the hotel. Didn't matter. Nice.

So I PMed Tricepilot last night and he offered a place to stay the night tonight on the way to the border. I like the Tricefamily. Top notch folks in my book. Trice is doing a distance bicycle ride this morning, so I'll drift slowly south to San Antonio on backroads.

Really enjoyed camping up here for a couple nights and meeting friendly ADVriders. Sam from Houston who I met out in the sticks the day before yesterday offered to give me his tent since he wants a bigger one. Hmmmm. That's a tough offer to refuse. It is not much bigger than my ice blue Walmart tent. When you're traveling minimalist it is a constant battle to trim your load. But in this case my thinking is I will switch for the slightly larger dark green stealth color tent so I don't stick out like a sore thumb south of the border. Plus it has a forest green rain fly that can double as a bike cover. I know that Throttlemeister was telling me that it isn't a bad idea to have your bike covered at night when parked. Out of sight, out of mind and all that.

So I gave my ice blue Ozark Trail tent to a nice guy who was packing up. He thought his grandaughter might get a kick out of it. So long tent. You served me well. Hopefully you'll make it back to the Ozarks someday. That was a nice place to camp.

At least now Sam can watch at least his tent make it to South America. Maybe he'll come down in the future. Who knows? Sam left so quick this morning that I forgot to have him sign my tank. So I'll sign Sam Houston on the tank. Even though he's originally from Biloxi. Sam Houson has a nice ring to it.

Thanks!

Best,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 07:40 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote