View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #1528
bikepharmer
Baja is on the way

Oddometer: 122
Sorry, Dude. But think about what you're asking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Why do you guys keep recommending bikes if you have not even ridden them? It's pretty obvious that you have never taken a 690 on the highway or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The 690 is pretty light and makes a lot of power for a single but it is nowhere near as smooth as a twin could be (neither the 654 nor the 690cc version), and with the close ratio 6-speed you either gear it to work well off road OR the highway, you can't have both. I also trust my Husaberg more than I would trust a 690 so I see no reason to carry the extra 60 lbs.

I enjoy performance and light weight so I'm not interested in a DR, been there, done that (including a full KTM suspension swap).
It is true, I've never ridden a 690, but I have owned and ridden a KLR and DR, and now own a 990.

So, you want KTM to build a 750/800 cc twin, similar to the Tiger/BMW F800GS, but you want it to weigh 350 lbs, be suitable for highway purposes, and handle like an MX bike off-road. Plus, you want it to be reasonably priced and strong. Damn, that is a pretty tall order for any maker. They would need to shave 200-ish cc's off the 990, and find a way to lose 80-100 lbs. That means tiny tank, skinny seat, and little or no wind protection.

I think you have a better chance of riding a unicorn

All in fun, mate. We all have our wish list, but I've yet to see a single bike fit everyone needs absolutely perfectly. There are always compromises.
bikepharmer is offline   Reply With Quote