Thread: Back in Black
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #424
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 254
Question How much electronics can one safely run.

Geek, You are an electronics meister, I've really pick up a lot from your threads, here and elsewhere, on setting up all kinds of electronic and other "accessorizing" for the big KTM. My bike is a 2012 990 Adv R, my concern regards it's capability of handling a combination of additional electronic accessories mainly due to it's gen output. You've installed the voltmeter, obviously to keep track of what's going on with the power re your battery, my question regards just how much can the bike handle. Can one run aux lights, and heated grips, and heated clothing, and GPS, and cellphone/I-pod power and still be within the capability of this bike? I realize a lot depends on the draw of each, but they are fairly standard. How do you figure where the limit s/b other than trial an error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
The digital voltmeter I used is a Datel.
I mounted mine in my upper left fairing as you can see in the photo below, and I used a waterproof push-button switch I got from highwaydirtbikes.com to toggle it off and on.

p.s. for me, I usually see the meter run 13.8 to 14.1 volts (higher at idle). I noticed that dropping for about a week (to where it read 13.2-13.4 on average) before my battery finally up and died. Food for thought if you see your voltage starts dropping.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote