Thread: About Schmidt
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #1211
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,333
No I don't think so. Gonzo was a great bike but was too top heavy for me to pick up or hold up in those tricky situations. It was doing my back in big time. That's why I got the drz for trails & Schmidt for working on & gravel bashing. In hindsight after the little amount of adv riding I've done on snotso the drz i should have really got the litest trail bike I could find as snotso still tweaks my back when picking him up - I find it pretty fricking grunty tho

I also wanted a project & the airheads appealed for that reason. I certainly wouldn't take Schmidt for an extended ride. I love workng on it but have to admit I get a bit sick of hearing new noises from different departments - ie the bloody gearbox whine. I was naively hoping that after repairing or replacing parts they would remain good for at least a few years.

I was talking to Jatz the other nite as he rocked up on his new BMW F800GS & he commented how after having the Big & the Ten & other older bikes that needed attention how nice it was to walk out to the shed push the starter button & ride. I started thinking about whether i'd get to that stage with Schmidt. I realised tho that working on them is a major source of enjoyment for now & I'd get pretty sick of just riding every weekend. That may very well change but for now it is ok.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote