Originally Posted by mousitsas
Let's start with the SE and see what we can do to make it lighter without reducing comfort.
1) Loose 10lbs from creative subframe/fuel tank combination?
2) Loose another 10lbs from simplifying the exhaust with a 2-1
3) Loose another 10lb from engine weight
4) Another 5lbs from redesigned frame+swingarm
5) Add 5lbs for some sort of simple rally fairing ala raiddesigns
So, (maybe I am gallant with the lbs) it seems that a 185 kgs 700/800 twin is possible, fully fueled and with lower CG than the SE.
That's a good list.
I would also prefer a semi-dry sump engine to avoid the extra complexities during oil changes and the weight of an external tank etc.
For braking power I think the stock Brembo caliper with a single 320mm disc should be fine for most people, it will be better than the 950 SE and the F650GS twin with less weight and better clamping power. The limiting factor is the mostly the tire after all, this is why the single disc F650GS outbrakes the twin disc F800GS, both have the same Brembo calipers as 950/990. And if you really want to put on a sticky 19" or 17" tire then just upgrade to a Motomaster caliper and you will have all the braking power you could need, without
the extra weight.