View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schannulleke View Post
Agreed with LukasM. We are looking at something right in between te 950SE and the 690.

Take the 690 as a starting point, give it a modern light 790cc V-twin engine with lets say 90hp. Improve/reinforce the 690 frame where needed (my guess is not much reinforcement will be needed). Single exhaust muffler. Subframe rear tank. Make more bike versions from this platform (however all R-verions):
- Enduro: small tank, minimalistic instruments
- Adventure: medium tank, improved instruments, improved passenger comfort, dual front brake discs
- Rally: large tank, improved instruments
- Supermoto: small tank, minimalistic instruments
- Touring: medium tank, improved instruments, improved passenger comfort, dual front brake discs
- Duke:...
- RC:...

Voila, KTM could build 7 motorcycles out of the engineering effort for 1 good lightweight modular platform. Maximized interchangeability of components and differentiation with a minimum varieties of components:
- 3 types of fuel tank: small, medium, large
- 2 types of instrument panels

Yes this could certainly be done with a significant weight reduction compared to the current corresponding LC8 motorcycles.
I think you missed one.

Easy to lower for a short person or a chick bike. How many guys would buy this for their wife? A REAL off road/adventure bike.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote