View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #44
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,850
Thumb From the "HONDA assaulting DAKAR preparation" thread (racing forum)

Yesterday, 05:32 PM #797
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,797

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz
Is Quinn riding a Husky at the big race?

Awesome!

Quinn is my dark horse for stage wins... and what a style on the bike! Never get tired of watching him hang it all out on that segment before the huge ass-over-end crash last year ... he's the closest you can get to a Robby Gordon of the bikers

Not to clutter up the HRC-files thread with historical non-related (to Honda) dakar-ista like waffle...

The QC post (about his reported Husky/Speedbrain ride for january) and Brodo's reference to his (almost) "take no prisoners" riding style,
reminded me of a conversation I had only a few weeks back with a Finnish friend, about past Dakar riders who "pushed the envelope" pace wise.

The subject of our conversation was of course, the Finnish 7 times Enduro world champion and multiple ISDE gold medalist - Kari Tiainen; who rode the Dakar with KTM a number of times (1999 to 2002?), and while he was from the outset, always very quick and able to run at a pace up with (or ahead of) the leaders... he frequently "binned it" with his aggressive style and approach to the longer desert stages... attacking them like it was a WEC special test. As a result... i'm not sure if he ever finished a Dakar?

Probably the all time record holder in the "balls to the wall" dakar attack stakes, is KTM's own Heinz Kinigadner... His list of rallye crashes (and near misses) and legacy as the "the fastest rider never to win a dakar" is legendary, and stems back to the very fist INCAS Rallye in Peru 1988; where he launched his KTM 350 Incas rally bike of the side of a mountain pass during one stage... and earned the nickname "el condor" for a while.

Some of the aerial footage of him attacking the Peterhansel/Yamaha Sonauto armada - running solo up out at the front of the field - on the early versions of the 620/640cc LC4 Rallyes/Adventure; during the 1995/1996 Dakar's was breathtaking.

So who is your favourite "win it... or bust trying" DAKAR legend...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 07:26 AM