View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #55
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
I've added a poll so let's see how many are interested and if not, why not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
"Probably would" is pretty optimistic and probably unrealistic. More likely is they would have taken 990 sales. Based on my observations and taking with owners, people don't buy KTMs mostly because
a) they don't know much about them (still!)
b) what they do know (or think they know) doesn't make them comfortable. Reliability, lack of dealers, maintenance requirements, etc..
c) seat height
d) too "unusual" looking (being generous here).

Anyway it's early in the thread, but I only see about a double handful of people who say they'd buy one of these smaller bikes. And that's at THE adventure bike site in all the world.

BTW-- I'd probably buy one as I'm 65 and a lighter weight adventure travelling bike is really appealing. But I just don't see a substantial weight savings in the cards (compared to an SE) without sacrificing ruggedness or a reasonable cost.

BTW2- Highland's new business model purports to give you all you're asking for: the ability to build the exact bike you want. So you have a choice-- whine or buy
I like the idea and concept behind the Highland, but the results are still not there.

If KTM would get behind this you know that they could build a sweet bike that would be in another league compared to the offerings from other manufacturers - in the categories they care most about - performance, weight, suspension, etc.

Just make a slightly bigger version of the 690 as base, from there it's very easy to bolt on supermoto suspension and wheels (which they already have) or offroad suspension and wheels (which they already have). Just like the 690 SMC and the 690 Enduro (R).

If some people want bigger tank range, a full fairing, or other special parts etc you can let other manufacturers develop them and then offer them in the hard parts catalog, just like the situation is now for all other their bikes with Rally Raid Products, Safari Tanks, Raid Designs, Britannia Composites and dozens of other companies. Doesn't cost anything and enables people to customize the bike perfectly for them.

I'm not expecting anybody to build the perfect bike for me, but give me the right size chassis and (solid!) engine and I can handle the rest.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote