View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Cool2 Take Your Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
The service manual is very detailed, it would help.
No it isn't!

KTM NA has been well aware of the fact their manuals have NO wire routing diagrams, and have asked KTM Austria to produce diagrams & photos which will be used to update the CD-ROM's and the site KTM has for (dealership) service technicians.

funny, I remember 30yrs ago when I got my first factory service manual and while looking at the chapter detailing the routing of wires, cables & hoses from every possible angle, thought "Why would anyone need that? It's obvious, isn't it?"

heh heh, well, no, not always

Some manufacturers have a label wrapped around the main wiring harness that is aligned on a specific part of the frame to help when you're putting an entire harness back on a bike. We don't have this- so it's trial & error fitting.

I actually got a good bit more slack and reduced stretching & abrasions by carefully re-adjusting (and when needed re-routing) the harness (after taking 100 pictures before I took it apart!). Keep everything loose until you're satisfied with things. As most nylon cable (zip) ties are long enough I will double the wrap in some places, or run a single loop around the harness and two around the frame (or vice-versa) so it holds the harness in place but doesn't crush it directly against the frame (or other components). Since we're usually cutting several inches off each tie when we're done it makes sense to get all the "use" out of the plastic we paid for!

This is also a good time to remove safety relays, shunt the 2nd/3rd gear sensor wires, etc
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote