View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten View Post
IMHO if you need to ask you have already answered the question. There are may bikes to chose from and you are unlikely to get responses in this forum that will chase you away from the KTM. When it comes down to it and you really want the 990 (Who doesn't its a great bike) buy it and learn along the way or plan your trip with planned stops at KTM dealers along the way. It is also true that you can't ride it like other bikes but so much harder, the normal putt through the woods or highway would drive most KTM owners insane with the burning need to destroy the rear tire. Plenty of folks have ridden these bikes RTW passing some of the most hostile environments in the world. Just make sure you buy the bike that makes you comfortable and speaks to you when you get on the saddle. Yamaha Super Tenere for instance has scheduled maintenance for valve adjustments in the 26K mile range and shaft drive so you don't have to worry about the chain (everything has a minus shafts too). all in all get what calls to you everything else will be the journey.

Good Luck!
Well, I'm coming from a Harley Davidson and I'm assuming the ride and the manner of riding is totally different. I'm not looking to be doing 180KM/hr on the trip, but most of the route is blacktop, with the exception of the Dempster, and a few fire roads in the route. I'm just looking to ride the motorcycle and get across the country in the most suitable machine for the job (I know there are TONS of other capable machines) it's just that the KTM 990 has such an amazing pedigree that I wanted to explore more and more about it.
turnitonagain is offline   Reply With Quote