View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #18
tr1200
High Side

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer View Post
There are a couple sandy streches, but much is two track jeep roads. It is fabulous country. My wife and I have ridden it twice, 2up on a Dakar Elefant, similer to the 990, maybe taller. That was with gear. I have ridden it on a BMW Dakar bike, the Duc several times,a 650 Elefant a couple times, and a 640 Rallye. All rather large bikes. Yes, on a wet Soda lake, but got the mud off at a Baker motel! You can follow fairly well the cairn markers, but a book map is available thru Friends of the Mojave Road if needed. FYI, the original road, a military trail went from Prescott to Camp Cady near Barstow. Enjoy!
Allen.
The original road maybe have been, but the original trail was traveled by foot by native Americans for centuries. I believe the first white man to travel it was Jedediah Smith in 1826 (not sure). The Mojaves (not an Indian word but an English misnombre) would trade with other natives in the inland empire area and traveled this general trail before horses. 990 loaded should be alright and lots of ways around Soda Lake. Smaller bikes are great to spur off the trail to different springs and petraglyph sites. Have fun
tr1200 is offline   Reply With Quote