Thread: Back in Black
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #425
CamelBill
Ride It!

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by elron View Post
Can one run aux lights, and heated grips, and heated clothing, and GPS, and cellphone/I-pod power and still be within the capability of this bike? I realize a lot depends on the draw of each, but they are fairly standard. How do you figure where the limit s/b other than trial an error?
I have also learned a tremendous amount from Geek's posts (Thanks Geek!), and followed his lead and installed a voltmeter on my 950. Was out on it all day yesterday, and i can tell you tha the heated gear and grips do dry alot of power. Assuming your regulator is in good shape (mine is new), my experience is about 14.3 volts with nothing on. Grips draw it down to about 13.7, grips and heated vest down a couple more tenths. I avoid using my aux lights when I have two heat draws on, because they can suck a couple more volts. I don't like to drop below 13.5 volts for long, as I have a Shorei battery, and they need a pretty good charge.

I'm sure Geek can (and likely will) provide a much more technical answer, but I thought I'd share my personal experience FWIW . . .
CamelBill is offline   Reply With Quote