View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #5953
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,136
Moab Day one...

Woke up to an awesome day and the bikes were still in the parking lot Everyone dressed warm...too warm, it warmed up quickly to low 20c and the layers came off once we reached Picture Rock. We took some photos and did a quick loop around the big rock, that's when BackRoader decided to take a nap on the rocks Uprighting his bike, we found that it was fine and BackRoader said he was fine too, so we carried on. We were on Kane Creek Rim Overlook road and the road was quickly becoming a cow trail. I pushed on ahead thru the deep sand and onto some Slick Rock Hills trying to find the route to the overlook. I quickly realized that we were not going to get Mark96's KLR down a rocky hill and back up, so we turned around and headed for another area. The scenery was so spetacular where we were that it didn't matter if we made it or not

BackRoader napping on the rocks

2whlrider on Kane Canyon Rim road

Mark96 on same road

We crossed the highway and went up to an overlook in the hills near La Sal. After that we wound our way down thru Browns Hole road and back around over to hwy 46 where whe again left the road in search of a route thru to hwy 191 that leads back up to Moab. Not long after starting this road, we quickly got into a bad area of wash on a hill. I scoped out further up and the road was non-existant, so we started down. It was almost more than BackRoader and Mark96 could handle, so they ended up walking and pushing their bikes down. After some tense moments we were back on the highway and heading up another road that looped back around to the town of La Sal. At this point, 2whlrider was on reserve and refilling his bike with spare gas and BackRoader was low on gas. We biked up highway 191 back to Moab where BackRoader and 2whlrider headed to the hotel pool and Mark96 and I headed up to Sand Flats road and to Slickrock. At Slickrock we took photos of the old Lions Back jeep climb and then headed to what we at first thought was Baby Lions Back but turned out to be the Start of Hells Revenge. It was a nice climb up and then down. Heading to the Slickrock bike trail, we stumbled on the real Baby's Lion Back. It was much steeper and my bike wanted to wheelie but I managed to keep the front end down and crested the top. Once back down we headed to Slickrock and ran it a bit and then took in the spectacular scenery and the sunny warm weather before heading back to the hotel.

Getting into trouble

Looking down from the starting hill on Hells Revenge

On top Hells Revenge start

Mark96 at the bottom of Babys Lions Back

On top of Baby Lions Back

Awesome first day, can't wait to see what tomorrow holds
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death

Lappeman screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 08:21 PM
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote