View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #14808
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
In search of a brighter brake light

So as much as I like this bike, I have been disappointed with the rear tail/brake light, mainly because it is not as bright as other bikes, specifically most Japanese bikes that use clusters of rear facing diodes. The Tiger uses side facing diodes in the light array which are then reflected rearward to illuminate from behind. Being LED, we cannot increase the brightness so what's a Tiger owner to do?

Here are the markers from behind on an overcast day-

And now the brake lights-

I searched out a waterproof LED array which has a pulse trigger lead (not cheap). Then with a bit more searching, I located the factory wiring plugs and, after a bit of wiring, built this--

The black plugs are a direct match to the Triumph factory plugs, so all that is necessary is to unplug the rear light assembly, insert this in between, and plug them in.

The light is slim and narrow enough and fits just perfectly into the notch above the light assembly and below the rear rack. It is adhered in place with 3M dual side waterproof adhesive.

The light array acts as a tail light just as the original does when it is powered on. When the brakes are applied, the light emits a brief series of pulses and then stays on bright. Let me just say, the brake lights are super bright, even in the sunlight.

Tail lights alone with LED array-

And with the brake lights applied-

Here is a video link to the application of the brakes. It is out of focus due to the flash and brightness of the LED's-

I've though about making more should there be a demand, but at the very least I just wanted to share the light improvement.

Cheers,
p3

***MOVED TO VENDORS***

There were requests for more of these so I started a thread in Vendors (thanks GB for the guidance). Please go there to ask your questions and place your orders.

Here is the Vendors link: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post19943845

p3

pilot3 screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 08:28 PM Reason: added photos-move to vendors
pilot3 is online now   Reply With Quote