View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #84
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by rununtilempty View Post
. . . and WHY are we trying to build an even heavier 690? Mine has an FMF system and with that alone makes nearly 70 hp . . . KTM makes hop-up kits which, when used in conjunction with each other, produce 80 or more. This can be seen most commonly with 690 Duke mods I have seen advertised . . . same LC4 engine . . . and I am NOT unhappy with the power from my bike.

I believe a twin would be fun in the 690's frame; however, the same output can be achieved with much less weight penalty. . . . imho

Great discussion though . . .
I think its the reliability stand point ? Not too many quality built thumpers will out live a quality built twin is a point that is being made. At he same time- the XR650R motor was no slouch and despite some short comings many could be pounded day after day and still see 30+K untouched and that was 90's technology. The BMW Rotax is a bit of a slouch but it will do some big miles. If the 690 had its power and the longevity of a g650 motor (generally speaking) it would be more desirable, but then it is still a single and the words buzz and tingle would still be in the description.
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote