View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #47
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,600
Like skipping foreplay, this trip started out unlike almost every trip I've ever taken. I got on the interstate to superslab straight for the good stuff.

Just before I got on the road, I snapped this pic of my loaded bike.

...and noted the odometer.

108,282 miles at the start.

Starting near the very southwest corner of Tennessee, I hoped to make it all the way to North Carolina by evening. I had worked the night before until 2am. It would be a long day.

The day started out hot. Like, 100+ F hot. Then before Nashville a cold front came in and rain started to come down. I stopped to don my newly purchased Frogg Toggs.

The rain continued off and on for the next few hours and I was unimpressed by the performance of the rain gear and I shivered inside my riding suit.

During my planning, I had hoped to utilize the Tent Space list to meet and stay with as many other ADVriders as I could. First on my list was Party Boss and his Tent Space in Hot Springs, North Carolina. Unfortunately, I learned that Rick had passed away just a few months earlier.

From a post by knybanjo:

I never got to meet Rick, but his reputation was that of being a first-class host. A couple people I spoke to, including Rick's brother, agreed that Rick would be fine with a tent on his property in Hot Springs.

So I found myself climbing up his harrowing driveway in the faded light after sunset. At the top I found his beautiful cabin and decided to roll out my sleeping bag on the deck for the night.

(I later learned that the Tent Space offered by Rick is not at his cabin, but on some property down by the creek. Oops.)

I'd made it to my planned stop for the day and covered more than 500 miles. Ugh. At least I can say the Corbin seat I got in trade with socaltrailrider worked brilliantly. Tomorrow I'll be going to the Wheels Through Time museum down the road.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote