View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #19
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,322
Those seem over priced to me as well, at least the few that I had a look at.

The trick here will be to cut out the middle men and their margin, and buy directly from the insurance, then you can get some great deals. In Austria and Germany there are closed websites where all the insurances post their vehicles with lots of pictures and a damage assessment report, and authorized account holders (usually dealers or salvage yards) can view them and place hidden bids. One day after the end they tell you if you won.

My friend is a dealer so I check it every now and then. Just today I bought an 07 KTM 250 with some scratches and a broken fender for 50% of market value. If it were your own fault you'd pick the bike up and ride on, but because it was somebody elses fault the damage was assessed at €4000 which is the same as the bike is worth.

So whether it's worth it entirely depends on the price you can get the vehicle for compared to what you are going to spend on getting it ready for whatever your plans for it are. As a long distance bike where scratches etc don't matter, it shouldn't be hard to find a good deal.