View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #36
cynicwanderer OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
the conditions for the 49er were almost perfect. the ground was moist from the rains, but not muddy. the temps were
comfortable/cool. there was some snow at higher elevations, but not too bad. only the last section (C-riders) was
snowy/muddy and rocky. this time they had the C-riders only do about 75miles of the course, while the A/B riders did
about 100miles.

I decided to ride the xr200r, since it's a fun bike to rider in tight stuff. people complain about the rocks on this course,
but t wasn't all that bad. the course was pretty easy/tame. there were some uphill rocky section where the sun was in
your eyes, so it was easy not to see some rock or root sticking out, but nothing happened. still having some trouble
with my timekeeping (I keep getting confused and then default to conservative), but I finished the course and turn not
burn any check (lol). I ended up riding with with someone I met during the first enduro I did on the same row and we
finished about the same time, while she did much better than I did. however, her husband broke his collar bone and
was out for the rest of the race. some of the people doing this stuff are really nice.

I did learn about a new way to hurt yourself riding motorcycles... at the gas stop I didn't screw my gas cap on all
the way and gas was spilling out over my legs/crotch area. of course, when we got to higher altitude and cooler air
with the combination of the wind on the faster section, was causing a lot of evaporative cooling of the gas and caused
some pretty severe frostbite. it hurt like hell and I almost froze my balls off, literally.

I went to the Dr. the next day because the areas that hurt the most during the incidence, didn't hurt at all at that point.
he said this was a first for him and diagnosed 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree frost burns. the 3rd degree parts still don't, while
the 1st degree partsare gone and the 2nd degree areas on my inner thighs still hurt a lot... that was the lesson learned
though. I guess this is what enduro is all about, a test of man and machine. you're doing it right when your weekend
activity warrants a Dr's visit...

all in all, besides the burns, I had a great time and I'm happy to have finally finish one. planning on going to cowbell
this weekend, if I recover enough.

cynicwanderer screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 10:44 AM
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote