View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 05:37 AM   #3146
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post

I would have figured the [air-cooled] motors would get enriched as the temp goes up, as that usually yields a cooler charge. I'm more of a water cooled guy, though. The modern boxer is a new thing for me.

Anyway, I'm just trying to understand what it does and how far it goes before I pop one on. Is there any adaptation left in the EFI system or is it a straight % across the board? Do the intake and ambient pressure sensors (if there) still function and affect the injector duration as originally intended? Is it trade secret?

I'm just a gearhead and this stuff fascinates me. I just like to understand things before I go plugging things into a vehicle. I spent hours researching what if's on the PCIII and PCV. Sorry if this all sounds familiar. There are a ton of pages to go through in this thread.
I feel the same way regarding the desire to understand things ahead of time.

Regarding your air-cooled comment: Typically as both the motor and the ambient air temp increase a fuel injected motor is operated with a leaner mixture. Air-cooled motors even more so.

A hot motor, with warm intake air, will continue to run on very lean mixtures. The motor doesn't make the same power as it does with a richer mixture, but it runs cooler and emissions are lower.

The IICE Air puts a 'lower intake air temperature offset' into that lean mixture trend. The ECU responds to that 'temperature offset' with a richer mixture, and the motor makes better power at all ambient temps.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation