View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #143
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked View Post
I had a hec of a time getting my RS body apart. Get it apart I did though, and now I have even bigger problems getting it back together...

Mine is a 2003 1150 GS Sport. The throttle bodies are labeled BING 75/ and then in smaller numbers 45/110...

Mine have the recently mentioned pressed on pulleys, so putting it back together with the original shaft is pretty much out of the question at this point. The pulley side of the body had no "thinner washer" as per the instructions. Also it differed from the reassembly instructions in that the butterfly screws were inserted from the engine side rather than the airbox side. So far, these are no big deal, but I mention them in case they point to me having the wrong kit?

Here are the bigger deals. The machined flats on the spindle to accept the pulley appears to be too long. It extends about 0.5 mm beyond the pulley, so there is no way the kit-supplied washer will secure the pulley, even if the screw apparently intended for this purpose was not a good 3 mm from tightening against the washer/pulley when it bottoms out in the threaded hole on the end of the spindle. Both the spindle flat and the retaining screw are way too long...

I figured I could file down the end of the spindle and cut off the screw with my Dremel as necessary, but first I wanted to trial fit the rest of the parts...

I found that I was unable to insert the butterfly fully into the spindle. Removal of the components and an examination revealed that though the butterfly can be fully inserted into the spindle, the screw holes are too close together to accommodate the holes in the butterfly (by about a half a hole). Since this did not account for my inability to fully insert the butterfly in the throttle body, I tried again. I found that the machining of the slot does not extend sufficiently toward the pulley side of the body (even with the spindle fully inserted from the cap side as allowed by the c-clip and washer) to accomodate the full width of the butterfly...

It appears I can remove material inside the spindle cutout for the butterfly with a hacksaw, but it will be very close as the whether or not this allows me to insert the two retaining screws. Comparing the new and old spindles to one another, the holes in the new spindle are between 1 mm and 2 mm closer together, so that under the best case scenario would the screws match the holes in the butterfly, and then just barely. There is no wiggle room side to side as a result...

Speaking of those screws, they are way too long to stake over as per the instructions. However, the kit contains little nuts sized to fit them. Is it the idea that the nuts are screwed on after full assembly as locking nuts?

Has anyone else had these issues? Reading the above, it sounds as this has all gone much smoother for others...

I took pictures that illustrate all the above, but I doubt I will be able to post them. Hopefully, my descriptions make sense...

Hey there, I thikn I'm having the same problem (pulley that's punched onto the shaft --> no "thinner washer". I'm ok withe the pulley but I'm wondering what to do without that "thinner washer"...

Dan?

Roads
? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Joker_-_ is offline   Reply With Quote