Hey everyone! After having lived in Arizona my entire life, I have never spent very much time in this part of the state. With that said, I was thinking it was about time that I planned a trip to tour through this part of the state and see the highlights. After panning around Google maps for a bit, I have come up with the itinerary below. Anyone think I'm missing anything? By the way, I plan on bringing the wife along so the vineyards are there for her as she would really enjoy that.
Anyone who wants to jump in and give their 2 cents would be much appreciated.
Southeast Arizona Motorcycle Ride Idea:
- Head east out of Phoenix on the 60 towards Globe.
- Head south on dirt roads up to Pinal Peak.
- Take the 70 east until you get to Peridot and then take Coolidge Dam Road around San Carlos Lake before hooking up with 70 again towards Safford.
- Take dirt roads up to the top of Mount Graham. Option to go see Riggs Lake on the west side of the mountain.
- Take the 191 south to Wilcox finding the Coronado Vineyards just before entering Wilcox.
- Take the 186 south out of Wilcox towards the Chiricahua’s with the option of bouncing out east to Fort Bowie.
- Take Dirt roads up to Flys Peak, Chiricahua Peak and Silver Peak. Option of going down the east side of the mountain into Paradise to see the cemetery and the town. Look for the George Walker House (www.thegeorgewalkerhouse.com).
- Head west back to 186/181 and take that west to 191 and go south through Bisbee and over towards Miller Peak on the 92.
- Take Garden Canyon Road west over the mountain towards Parker Canyon Lake for a visit.
- Proceed north on 83 to the Sonoita Vineyards for some wine tasting. (http://www.sonoitavineyards.com/)
- Take 83 north to Sonoita and head west on 82 towards Patagonia and check out Patagonia Lake.
- Backtrack to Salero Canyon Road/FR 143 and head north to find a way up to the top of the peak just west of Mount Wrightson.
- From there head back down the mountain and go north into Tucson to take the Mount Lemmon Highway up to the peak of Mount Lemmon.
- From there, head northeast down Old Mount Lemmon Highway/Road until you get to Oracle.
- Head northeast on 77 towards Mammoth and up through Dudleyville Winkelman, where you turn onto 177 and head northwest, and Kearny before turning onto the Florence-Kelvin Highway towards Florence.
- From here, head home into Phoenix.