View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #22
Tooltech
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
XD 3 or XD 4 best of both worlds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I use the Arai XD4 dual sport helmet. Works great in most situations. The only time I have trouble is riding trails in cold weather when I get fogging and condensation even with an anti-fog shield. In those cases I usually carry some goggles and flip up the shield and use goggles. I have a Klim helmet and it requires goggles but is very noisy for highway riding. I may use it next time I ride in Baja though as it is very light and well ventilated.
I ride the KTM 500 EXC and the KTM 990 SMT and the Arai XD 4 is the perfect solution. One can convert it to a slick, light weight road helmet or a dirt helmet with goggles and visor. Easy to do, no special skills or tools required. I do have a VX Pro 3 as well for track racing. Most road helmets are close to my face and I feel confined. The shape of the dual sport helmets are less confining for me.

Bottom line is you just have to try on different helmets. Walk around the store with them on ( at least 15 minutes ) you will soon discover pressure points. Never buy a helmet that will " break in " to your head...it never will. Never buy a cheap helmet. Cheap helmets may be extremely strong however, that is NOT what your head needs. The super strong helmet will transfer the impact forces into your head and neck. If your helmet is involved in a wreck ( even a minor wreck ) replace it. If your helmet is 5 years old, replace it...You only are issued one brain, protect it.

As for the bikers who ride with out a DOT-SNELL helmet...MORONS!
Tooltech is offline   Reply With Quote