This thread provides a tutorial describing how to embed a Microsoft Office Excel, PowerPoint, or Word document into a message here on ADV. These methods take advantage of the new release of Office Web Apps, which are free to use, as well as the HTML editor in vBulletin, which powers the forums on ADVRIDER.COM.
Embedding a document into a forum message allows your thread 'readership' an easy and accessible way to read your document within the context of your message without spawning a new browser window. Here are some examples…
Excel spreadsheet example
This is a spreadsheet I used for mileage planning during my Alaska trip in 2011.
This is a 'how-to' instruction guide for wiring up a Garmin to my 1200GS
This is just a sample document used to see how an embedded Word document works. Many people use Word as their go-to organization document (creating packing lists, itineraries, contact info, etc.)
I'll use the next few messages in this thread to provide specific details for each of the apps.
If you're comfortable with Microsoft Office and various web gymnastics, the 'how-to' overview looks like this, go right ahead and dive in…
1) Upload or create your document on Skydrive in a public folder.
2) Select the document while in folder view. Select the "Embed" menu that appears after you select.
3) Follow the instructions to copy the embed code from Skydrive to your clipboard.
4) Go to your message within whatever message you're creating.
5) Select HTML editor mode - it's the icon in the upper right of the text message box with two versions of the letter "A". If you drift your mouse over it, the hover text reads "Switch Editor Mode"
6) Paste the code at the appropriate location in your message.
7) Preview to ensure everything looks good. Go back and edit if necessary.
8) Punch the "Submit Reply" button!
A few backgrounders...
Your document must be on Skydrive in order for this to work. It's free to use up to 7GB of storage, which is plenty for document usage scenarios. There are a variety of ways to upload documents to Skydrive (from the Skydrive app, upload directly via web, or save from within Office), I'll refer you to Skydrive documentation
if you need any assistance there.
The instructions work for PCs and Macs. More background available on the Skydrive site
Skydrive works best with the latest versions of IE, FireFox, Chrome, and Safari. I'll be using the Windows/IE combo for instructional purposes below. FF/Chrome/Safari/Other users may experience slight differences…feel free to provide details below.
Having a recent copy of Office for Windows or Mac is not required, but recommended for best editing and presentation experience. If you don't have Office on your computer (such as iPad users), you can create and edit documents on Skydrive with the Web Apps.
If you're a fan of OneNote and know that there's also an OneNote web app (like me), alas, there is no embedded viewer for sharing notes with folks. To share OneNote Notebooks with people, just grab the link from Skydrive.
More details about Office Web Apps are available here
, including other embedding examples.