I went out in the garage to straighten out the swingarm this morning. Last time I worked on the swingarm was when I installed the oil seals. I had put everything together loosely, but I still managed to strip out the pivot pin locknut, and I had forgotten to install these spacers:
Getting the stripped locknut off of the pin wasn't too tough, but took some grunt. I was worried that the pin itself might be damaged too, but it looks like I lucked out:
The new nut screwed right on without issue:
You may recall my girlie bandage from yesterday. I wasn't sure what I had cut myself on yesterday. I was working on removing the forks, I never felt anything, and all of the sudden my finger was gushing blood. Well it happened again today, this time on my thumb:
Sorry for the shaky picture, that photo was taken left handed! This time I figured it out though. Turns out that hole cut in the front axle has VERY sharp edges! Lesson learned....
I installed the swingarm, spaced it evenly as measured by a Vernier caliper, and then tightened the pins and locknuts down. The bike is now ready to accept the wheels and become a true roller again. Wooohooo! It will be the first time in over a year that the bike has been able to roll around without the help of my Craftsman jack!
The wheels aren't quite ready yet (they still need to be trued), but I couldn't resist throwing them on and taking a look:
Ah yes..... not too shabby at all! I'm very happy with my decision to powdercoat the rims black. It was a decision that I went back and forth on for long time, and one that I'm happy with. It's one of the few subtle diversions from the stock look (others being the Euro low bars, and I'm going to ommit turn signals and use a much slicker tail light). Just different enough to clean up the lines and make the bike look a bit more muscular, in my opinion.
And finally, I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I went ahead and ordered a new top not. Not installed yet, but you get the idea:
Next I'm going to try to rig up a stand to use in an effort to true the rims on my own. If I'm successful, the bike may be a roller by early next week!