View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #141
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx View Post
Even in this thread there seem to be two camps for this midsize unicorn. Those focused on more relaxed and relliable and those wanting a more aggressive bike or even a 690-based bike. We'll not all get our wish (and maybe none of us) but it sure is fun to talk about it!
That's something else I have been thinking about while watching this thread. The hardcore off-road crowd wants a performance engine and good suspension and ground clearance. The travelers want good suspension (but plush/comfortable). Maybe they're less concerned with ground clearance? But they WANT/NEED a motor that is going to last. I know that if I were planning to go RTW on back roads, a KTM would be pretty far down the list of choices. Not because it's not comfortable or not capable or not reliabile, but because it craves that liquid gold Motorex oil (the 690 takes oil that is even harder to find than the stuff for the LC8s) and drinks high octane fuel. For traveling the world, I'd prefer a bike that can better tolerate crap fuel and only needs something slippery and wet to keep the engine from seizing and galling into scrap metal.
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote