View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo2312 View Post
Any problems riding the bike with an abs failure? I mean you can turn it off, why cant you just keep riding?

From experience, the servo brakes on the 1150 are fine until the ABS unit fails, in which case the system reverts to "residual braking" which is just a little worse than dragging a cinderblock on a rope to slow down. The non-servo ABS failure was largely transparent except for the obvious lack of ABS action.

I suspect the system used in the non-servo 1200 bikes is similar to the non-servo 1150s in that you still have decent brakes but no ABS at all.

My own opinion of the system has come around 180 degrees - I used to be a huge proponent of ABS brakes, until mine failed. I attempted a repair, and I *think* I got it right, but in the end I didn't trust the system to work. So I removed it and have come to the conclusion that proper braking technique trumps technology. I know some will disagree, but unless they're willing to buy me a new ABS unit, I'm going to stick with my unlinked/unservoed/unABSed brakes.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote