View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #80
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,297
Ok, here's mine. 1986 Husky 400 XCE

Bought it for a mear $500. It was running but rear shock was out of N2. Did a complete rebuild and up grade of the frame, forks, suspension. After a 18 mounth restrotation it started on the first kick. What a great bike. At around 240 pounds dripping wet and all the power needed, waht else do you want? The power is very good down in the low RPM's. Except for it's long wheel base, single track capability is very good. The deep plush suspension makes wide open cross country riding outstanding, even measured against todays bikes.

Highlites:

Swing arm repiars. I ended up with three swing arms. One I modified to the 86 configuration by adding the brake backing plate reaction lugs ( 6061T6 ). Every one got Hiel Coil inserts at the chain adjuster. All had at least one crack.

After gouging out the cracks and welding all were Shot Peened:

I used Epoxy paint from Brownells, the gun smith folk, and it stuck like gang busters to the ultra clean shot peened surface. Silver grey first, then the enduro sticker from EBay, then clear coat. I made my own chain slider from hard palstic.

The linkage was a conbination of parts from several EBay purchases. All measured and the good ones used and a back up set in stores. All bolts, bushings, and shafts were PTFE coated to prevent corrosion and make a sliky smooth action. New bearings and a newer seal set was installed.

Factory rebuilt shock and new spring:

All the rear wheel and brake hardwear is PTFE coated to eliminate corrosion and work smoothly:

The forks got the same paint and I did the rebuild with the latest greatest seals from Hall's. I added an Endurance speedo and it works well with a long battery life. I used a KTM pick up and made an aluminum mount for it. And a set of plastic mouints for the new, modern, Acerbus Head Light.

Found a new front wheel on EBay and remounted the twenty year old tire! LOL!!!! Hey, BOTH, tires were new and not cracked, so I am still riding on them. Metzlers are pretty good!

The engine got a new modern in-take carb mount. The carb got the PTFE coatings as an experment. The water pump seal was in backwards. Pump was like new. I found the water pump guard on EBay.Other than that it was good to go!

The piston has very little wear. Just walk in the intake ports and take a look.

Screen saver motor shots:

Truck LED for tail light. Note condition of twenty something year old Metzler tire!!

Start up photo. ONE KICK!!!!

In action vidieo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVj21aQQC3A&feature=g-upl

Link to all photos of resto:
http://fritzcoinc.smugmug.com/Other/Husky-1986-400-XCE/11197626_3q4WB5#!i=785071163&k=BJwJnh8
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 03:42 PM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote