Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post

Here's what I shopped around for:
Kubota L3240 HST
R4 tires
Loaded rear tires
LA724 Loader with HD Quick attach bucket
3rd function valve for loader

66" root rake grapple
Sounds like a nice setup. I'm sure you've already heard that whatever you think you need, go one step bigger! The main problem with these smaller tractors ends up being the lift capacity of the FEL when you add a heavy root rake.
I'm assuming by "root rake" you mean the clamshell style that clamps the material in, versus an open bottom grapple that is more of an open bucket, where the clamps hold the material in rather than fully support it? I posted a pic of my tractor in your ICF thread, and you mentioned that you wanted the root rake style. Do you have a specific reason for wanting the root rake style? Have you used both types before? I don't want to waste my breath telling you some pros and cons of each if you already know them!

Quote:
84" hydraulic angle Quick attach snow plow
72" Box scraper
60" Brush Hog
I don't have experience with the quick attach snow plow so I can't comment. However, if you don't mind searching craigslist a bit, and don't mind waiting for a decent deal, you can save a ton of money buying used implements.
Which box scraper and brush hog models did they quote you on? I'd highly recommend going with at least medium duty implements.
What will you be brush hogging? Will the 60" cover your tracks?

Quote:
Dealer an hour away asked, "Do you mind last year's model that's been sitting here for a year? Never used, Never demoed, and the NEXT model up in HP?" I said no, and he quoted $34,700 for the whole deal (L3540 for what it's worth)

Kubota has 0% financing.

Talk to me. I've got 16 acres to clean up- tons of brush, logs, stumps to move and dispose of. A couple acres of brushy stuff that I'd like to mow and turn it into more of a field. 300 foot hardpack driveway to plow and maintain. Thoughts?
If a 60" brush hog wouldn't cover your tracks, I'd recommend going for the next model up in HP as you mentioned, and going with a 72".
If you have a ton of brush, logs, and stumps to move, I promise you will be happier with the standard bucket style grapple, and NOT the root rake grapple. A root rake grapple is really good for exactly that, raking roots, but that is when using a powerful skidsteer and not a small CUT, you just can't "rip" things up with a CUT and root rake grapple like it seems.

Are you dead set on going new? You can get so much more for your money by buying used, although, with 0% financing I agree that buying new is not a bad idea.
For reference, I bought a used Kubota L4610 with an LA823 loader for $16k, it had 500 hrs.
I added 4 rear remote hydraulic valves, a WR Long 3rd function front end loader valve, and filled the tires with Rimguard (beat juice).

I then bought the following implements USED.
78" heavy duty box blade, HRL3578 with hydraulic scarifiers.
72" Brown 472 brush hog (can cut 3-4" saplings.)
PTO stumpgrinder
Hydraulic top link and side link
WR Long 64" OBG-2 grapple
3pt hitch log splitter
6' landscape rake/blade combo
2 bottom disk plow
FEL quick attach forks
6" PTO chipper with hydraulic feed (recently purchased)

I have $29,000 invested into the entire package. Granted, I don't have all brand new equipment and there is something to be said for that, but if I were to buy new, well...I couldn't have afforded it.

Quote:
eah I've been looking at used for a while, but haven't found one with the factory 3rd function valve or one that will accept a factory 3rd function valve
They all accept a 3rd function valve, it's a very easy 2 hr installation max.

If your at all interested, I'll probably have my tractor and equipment on my land in Alton in early December if there is not much snow on the ground. Your more than welcome to come try it out.

“What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.”
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote