View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #178
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Oddometer: 141
Day 8

Ok. My day eight pictures. Delayed due to some unforeseen travel. Anyway, we took off from Denio for a nice breakfast in Fields. Mike’s friend Rick joined us on his Harley:

After several failed attempts at World Famous Fields Milk Shakes, they were part of our breakfast orders.

Some shots of the crew (now five due to Scott’s early return to Seattle for work), climbing up out of Fields to our first pass. Mike:

Chuck:

Dan:

Bill:

At the top looking west towards Beatty Butte and Hart Mountain:

Going down!

Chuck motors out into the flat lands:

A cool shot of one of the gates we passed through:

Up another ridge and we stopped to look into the next valley. The tiny puff of dust in the middle is the only ranch truck that I recall seeing on the entire trip. He was a bit surprised when we passed him a few minutes later. I love this shot:

Another 15 miles or so and we encountered this cool set of rock outcroppings. The clouds made for some really nice shots. If you look close you can see a few of us in the pictures for a sense of scale:

Looping around through the rocks at the bottom of the valley we discovered this sign hidden in the bushes – Granite Springs:

Mike acting as valet holding my bike while I take some shots:

And finally we begin the circuitous and convoluted route up to the top of Beatty Butte:

Note the tight formation due to the high winds:

Much of the route around Beatty Butte looked like this. Not a lot of traffic on these roads:

Going up!

Another one of my favorite shots. Dan on the way up:

The Duckspanker:

Finally, after winding around the mountain forever, we finally hit the uphill. And what an uphill. Probably 2000 feet of endless climbing up a rough gravel incline.

And the top. No, these guys are not retards just learning to walk. They are trying to stay upright while walking away from a 60 mph plus gale over the top!

This old refer was used at one point to house batteries for an amateur radio transmitter.

The view from the top of Beatty Butte:

This IS NOT an exaggerated photo. I had Chuck lean into the wind to see how far he could go while supported by the gale:

And what photo set would be complete without a picture of my bitchin Husky at the top.

I’ll stop there for this post. Still lots more to show of our final day!

Mark.

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
kramsetac is offline   Reply With Quote