View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
You can train and run and do all the gym stuff all you want, nothing is going to prepare you like racing every weekend will. Ask Pasta boy.

I do not train. I do not go to the gym. Don't run, eat sensible, abstain from alcohol or sex ( hell, thats my cardio training), all I do is race. I realize some people actually have lives and budgets and real responsibilities, but you are never going to get the experience if you only race 3 or 4 times a year. You are going to get tired, frustrated and possibly injured.

Unless you are some kind of phenom that has gobs of natural talent, you need to make a commitment, tell yourself you are going to ride at least one or two races a month, go slower than you want to so that you can actually FINISH a race, screw the result, just learn what it takes to get to the end.

Then work your way up from there.

Now if you'll excuse me....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This!

The thing you have to remember is that this is endurance racing. You start each race with only so much energy that day, how you spend that energy during the race will determine if you finish or not. "To finish first, you must first finish!!" As you build endurance, your speed should also increase as you prolly won't be spending as much energy to go fast as you did when you started racing. You will learn that there are places that you will be able to relax and recover. Almost NOBODY racing today can go 100% the entire race. Pace yourself at 75 to 80% and use short bursts of 100 or 110% to pass.