View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
driftinglobo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet View Post
Hi and welcome to ADVrider.

Questions I would ask are: where about's are you (you might like to fill in your profile) and what sort of riding do you want/plan to do?

A DR has a pretty reliable 200k until reserve, plus 60k's on reserve. In my opinion: If you're sticking to the main roads a stock tank is ok 90% of the time.

But for example if you wanted to head around the east cape on a weekend that's 326 k's and fuel can be patchy if you miss a station or they've run out. An IMS tank will see you all the way around without any problems.

For some of the longer cross country adv riders like clints MMM ride a stock DR tank is a bit on the small side. You can carry a small back-up tank if you need an extra few k's but for piece of mind it's nice to have the extra range.

IMO: The 32 Litre safari tanks are overkill for NZ, and they're bloody cumbersome.

Hi
Thanks for the welcome! and for the replies.
I m kind of new to forums and (hate computers with a passion) and this is why my profile not well filed out. I will get to it soon ish.
I been commuting on Big Bird for about a year. and found I get very constantly 160 km until reserve. have not run the tank dry yet to find out reserve. Done a few bigger rides also ( only on eval SHs )like the TT2000. and fuel consumption was about the same.
The reason I started this tread as I m staring to set her up for dirt. nothing serious at the beginning but keep adding as needed. (well as $$$$$ allows ). I have been lurking in DR forums and seems a lot of conversions to safari tanks.
which is an extra 19 lt !! I was really interested if this is no a bit of overkill for the South Island?
or 18 tl which will give me about 250 km + reserve be enough? And based on the replies it be ok.
Thanks for inputs so far!
driftinglobo is offline   Reply With Quote