Thread: Para-curious
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #23
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,272
We have a winner. The red bike ended up being in good enough condition that I bought it without even looking at the black one. The seller accepted my offer of $4000 and I rode it home 3 hours from Guadalajara in the rain without a hitch. It needs a few little things, but all in all it's in great shape. The paint is not original, as mentioned previously, but the PO went to the trouble of buying and applying all the original factory warning decals over the repaint. Super anal. Let's just say there's an MOA sticker on the back fender and leave it at that. The color is even REDDER than the photos show. ELECTRIC RED. It was dark and rainy all the way home yesterday and I could still feel the thing glowing underneath me. The bike was imported into Mexico in 2000 from California by an older guy, now in his 70s who sold it to the seller in January of 2011. He's barely ridden it since then and now had to sell it to cover some costs. The engine is very leak-free and makes good power. It blows a little puff of smoke when you crack the thottle wide open, but didn't consume any oil in the 200 miles I rode it. It got over an indicated 100mph without any trouble and fuel consumption appears to be about 40mpg at a constant 75-80mph. Steering head bearings are knocking a little and the shock could use a new rubber bushing on the swingarm end. Also, the brake light doesn't currently work, so that needs addressing too. I'll start with that, a valve adjustment, and all new fluids tonight. Only minus is that it's missing the original tool kit and box. Anybody got a spare they'd sell? More later.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 07:14 AM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote